Friday, August 18, 2006

Archived from an old source - Day out training with friends.

09 July 01:04

Thursday I was in London thanks to the "WorldWide Jam team", for an audition as a stunt double for a TV advert. I dont know when I'll know if I got it, so there, but afterwards, travelling around London with Danny Ilabaca, who travelled down from liverpool street, gave me a lot more than I expected.
We did a fair bit around London, main first place was as area around "Tower 42" where we had a meeting.
Up in Gary Rhodes' restaurant, we (myself, Prozac, Brad, Dredd, Danny, Chris and brad), admiring the rooftops from a height, talking about movement, parkour and the universe, there were some VERY deep thoughts going on, and I was amazed to see Danny's perceptions of movement, what he does and what we (traceurs) are doing.
From there we went down around "Tower 42"s ground, lots to do, and having never seen Danny in action before, I was shocked. He had an up most confidence in his own abilities, seemingly no doubt, or fear, just high level of ability, dedication and precision to each and every movement.
An example being a rail, I thought it looked really dusty, I asked if he wanted to check it before he went for the precision jump over the 30ft drop. He went for it, he may have checked it slightly, but ti be THAT sure your YOUR own abilities was truly inspiring. He also went for a dropped precision jump and kept going for it until he nailed it without falling. I do practice repetition and will try to nail movements dead n if I am not happy with them, nice to see him do it too.
We then moved onto the newly ruined "Leap Of Faith" area, the razor spikes around the edges are a strong deterrent but are not a permanent stopper. We trained around the area for a good while, I was impressed with Danny's turnvault into an underbar through the top bar of the rails in the area, MAD!
As we progressed around London, just talking about things, I was interested to find out his views and types of "training". I'm always keen to hear other peoples ideas in order to better my own methods. He said he trained everyday, I found it hard to believe, but imagine what advancements could be made with that much training. Admittedly 6 years of "parkour" and a lifetime of movement will give a huge advantage, but I now know that I can do more than I have been, I can push harder than I have ever done before, if I want to.
You know what? I do.
By the end of the day, we wound up at The southbank area, around Waterloo. Brad took us round to an area that isnt usually open to the public over weekends. We dumped our bags off and hid them down on some stoney area so they were safe. Myself and prozac went off to "explore".We went up, level by level of the SB centre. Prozac found a way up to the top, we were at the area of "Sebastien's" JL and JB handstand from the rails. Myself and Prozac chased down and found Brad and Dredd. We got Danny and Chris to come with, we were all up the top level, admiring the view, Danny could resist, controlled, he guiding himself up and was doing the handstand that Foucan had done years before, seeing it for real was an awe inspiring sight.
We then discovered to levels below ours, on two balconies. We went for it, turn vaults to down, parkour and efficiency. Seeing us all going together was a great feeling, running from where we were, i felt invigorated.
My most important lesson was learned around the old "Shell centre", luckily were were able to train at the "old ground" for a while before were were moved on. May well be our last time before it is knocked down. We then moved over the other side by the garden area, balancing along the concrete ledge, Danny suggested I play around with it and make it harder.
I realise I only really practice pure balance, not mixing it up or changing the situation of the balance. Mixing twists, heights and small jumps while balancing will increase competence and confidence on balance and more importantly, my own abilities and skills.
Focus on what you are doing is key. The day was a great day, seeing a lot of new stuff and a lot of new opportunities within movement; I wish to learn all I can, to progress and to better myself and my personal development irrespective of any arguments. I practice parkour and enjoy movement. I will do so. Mix up what you do, remain focused on what you are doing, concentrate hard and you will succeed.
Barriers and blocks are there to be beaten. Focus and achieve.

3 comments:

Teg said...

Very interesting indeed, good read, thanks for sharing it.

Fabrice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Haha, randomly coming here like, 2 years day to day after you started it ! :D
Started parkour less than a week ago, not sure I'll make it but will strive for the best.
Keep the good stuff, loved you video on breathe me by sia.
Take care

F.